ABOUT ARTIST R GOPAKUMAR
Gopakumar (born 1972 in Oachira, Kerala) is an Indian contemporary multidisciplinary artist, curator and India’s first major digital art collector living and working in Kingdom of Bahrain.
He works in a variety of media, including digital art, motion photography, installation, drawing, painting and print.
He uses art and technology to discuss and expose the environmental, social and political issues of the society.
“I believe the work of art should change the existing visual, intellectual and aesthetic sense and experiment with finding new visual phenomena. “
Saatchi Gallery London, UK.
Tate Britain, UK.
Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
Kochi-Muziris Biennale, Kochi, India (Collaterals)
Bahrain Museum, Manama, Bahrain
The Kinsey Institute Art Gallery, USA.
National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi, India
- 2021 CADAF Crypto and Digital Art Fair, Paris, France.
- 2021 Visual Artists Association, Art Exhibition, London, UK
- 2021 V-Art Digital Art Spaceship Exhibition – Ukraine
- 2020 Art Workshop and Exhibition 151 birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi, India
- 2020 Monsoon Art Fest, Kerala, India
- 2019 Objectified CICA Museum, South Korea
- 2016 Art Rise Savannah’s Art Festival, Savannah, Georgia
- 2016 Alert Not Alarm – Unpresentable in Presentation, Durbar Hall Art Gallery, Kochi, Kerala, India
- 2015 Vastu – Dialogues on Post-Performance Object, Nanappa Art Gallery, Kochi, Kerala, India
- 2015 Sofia Underground – International Performance Art Festival, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2014 Saatchi Gallery London, UK. – The Motion Photography Prize Exhibition
- 2014 Tate Britain, UK – Source Spotlight Light Display – Texture & Collage Exhibition
- 2014 Critical Juncture, Kochi-Muziris Biennale, Kochi, India (Exhibition and Residency)
- 2014 Cesar Garcia (Curated Art Collection) Saatchi Art Online
- 2014 The Power of Art, Tune Bibliotek, Sarpsborg, Norway
- 2013 Colours – Peace & Solidarity Årjängs Bibliotek, Galleri Passagen, Sweden
- 2012 Art Meets Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s Poetry Exhibition – Arte Città Amica, Torino , Italy
- 2012 Immagine & Poesia Beausoleil: Gianpiero Actis and friends of the Movement – Municipal Cyberspace Beausoleil, France
- 2011 Exhibition on the 150th Anniversary of Italian Unification – Homage to Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Arte Città Amica, Torino , Italy
- 2011 Galleria d’Arte Contemporanea Grafica Manzoni, Torino, Italy
- 2010 Absence of freedom Digital print to Yoko Ono’s Wish Tree at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA
- 2010 “Nature & Nurture”, The Kinsey Institute Art Gallery, USA..
- 2010 2nd Anniversary Exhibit and Contest. MOCA: Museum of Computer Art, Brooklyn NY, USA.
- 2009 Art Exhibition, ISE Cultural Foundation NY, USA.
- 2000 Bahrain Museum, Manama, Bahrain
- 1996 Kerala Lalithakala Akademi, Kerala, India
- 1995 Ravi Varma College of Fine Arts, Kerala, India
- 1990-1995 Five Year NDFA (Painting) from The Raja Ravi Varma College of Fine Arts, Mavelikkara, Kerala, India.
- 2007 History of Art Diploma Course – London Art College, UK.
- 2012 – Contemporary Art – Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA
- 2014 – Catalysts: Artists Creating with Sound, Video, and Time training from Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA.
- 2015 ART of the MOOC: Merging Public Art and Experimental Education, Duke University.
Awards and Achievements:
- Scholarship Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy
- 1st Place Winner , 2nd NeoPopRealism Starz Art Competition, USA.
- “Honorable Member” Immagine Poesia, Trino, Italy
- “Super Patron” The Virtual Online Museum of Art is the world’s first virtual museum (voma.space)
- Bangalore University included his Digital art practice and biography in their Bachelor of Visual Arts (BVA) Syllabus (Program: B.V.A in Creative Painting, Course Title: New media art and Technology)
- In 2014 he was selected among the finalists of the Saatchi Gallery in London for the Motion photography category and Google+ for The Motion Photography Prize . The members of the jury were: the director Baz Luhrmann, the artists Shezad Dawood, Tracey Emin, Cindy Sherman and Saatchi Gallery CEO Nigel Hurst.
- Publications Lidia Chiarelli Immagine & Poesia – The Movement in Progress – A Cross-Cultural Communications Edition, Merrick, New York, 2013
- Artist Exposed – R.Gopakumar – Gunas Publishing – India, 2010
- NeoPopRealism Starz: 21st Century ART, 1st Volume, Erotica As A High Artistic Aspiration by Nadia Russ, 2010
- NeoPopRealism Starz: 21st Century ART, 2nd Volume, Erotica As A High Artistic Aspiration by Nadia Russ, 2010
- MOCA: Museum of Computer Art – Second Anniversary Exhibit 2010, Brooklyn, New York by Donarcher
- International Contemporary Artists – by Olga Antoniadou, Eve Lemonidou, 2010
- The ABC of ARTnership, Vol 2, 2009
- Journal of Graphic Engineering and design”, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering, Department of Textiles, Graphic Arts and Design, the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Introduction to Digital Art, John Antoine Labadie, Margie Beth Labadie, Edition: 2, 2019
- Encyclopedia of Drawing Art and Painting, Alfonzo Broyles Velma Cain, 2016
- Encyclopedia of Drawing Art, Velma Cain, 2016
- Journal of Creative Arts and Minds, Vol. 1, No. 1 – June 2015  A
- Beautiful Question: Finding Nature’s Deep Design 2015 – Frank Wilczek (The Nobel Prize in Physics 2004)
- The New Aesthetic and Art: Constellations of the Postdigital, 2016, Lukasz Mirocha, Scott Contreras-Koterbay
- Saatchi Gallery London, UK.
- Tate Britain, UK.
- Kinsey Institute Indiana University Permanent Art Collection
- Immagine Poesia, Torino, Italy
Founder and Curator:
- INCAF- Indian Neo Contemporary Art Foundation.
- Art Biennale – Asia’s First Social Media Biennale of its kind.